Aquatint Box

Late last year (2011) I finished a little project that I had planned for a good while – I built my own aquatint box (rosin box). My first attempt was in a pampers nappy box, sealed with duct tape… it worked OK, but leaked quite a bit which is not so good in a home studio.

I’ve been looking for plans or diagrams but found very little online, so I just designed it myself. Having used a large Polymetaal Aquatint box in the studio where I did a few courses, I had a good idea how it worked and drew a 3D design in sketchup.

I then made it using 9mm exterior plywood, some dowels, hardboard and brushes (door draught seals), sealed all the joints with silicon, sealed the door edges with silicon bath seals and made a crank from wood. All the materials cost me less than €60/$80 and it took about 2 days including varnishing.

The box works perfectly, and I get a really even dusting of rosin on my plates. The only issue I had so far is that much of the rosin collects on the two little ledges either side of the box and I have to dust this off with a long handled paintbrush every time before use.

(This was originally posted on wetcanvas.com printmaking forum in October 2011 which led to some related discussions which you can read here)

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Aquatint Box

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s